Pressure volume catheters
emka TECHNOLOGIES provides Pressure Volume system from Transonic Scisense, to be used with IOX2 acquisition software, for the study of hemodynamics and cardiac function in small and large animals hearts.
Our system uses the improved admittance measurement mode, offering:
- Excellent measurement accuracy
- Absolute volume in real-time with:
- Continuous correction (during the cardiac cycle) of the surrounding tissues contribution
- No need of saline injection
- Phase angle, useful in locating catheter in the ventricle
IOX2 software can be used for powerful analysis either in traditional conductance or improved admittance measurement modes.
Improved admittance technique
Phase angle to locate catheter in ventricule (admittance mode)
IOX2 software for powerful analysis
PV loop analysis
All signals (pressure, volume, phase, magnitude) are available as analog outputs.
Phase and magnitude signals are used for quality control in admittance mode.
The pressure and volume signals are used to compute PV loops curves, when connected to IOX2 software through a usbACQ interface. Complete analysis of loops can be performs (steady-state, vena cava occlusion) within IOX2 software:
- Loops from single or multiple animals are simultaneously displayed
- PV cycles are user selectable for loop analysis
- Linear or nonlinear regression is used for curve fitting
- Regression accuracy increased, with specific beats invalidated in a serie
- Different occlusions can be compared, with several series displayed on the same graph
- Loops from single or multiple subjects are simultaneously displayed
- Results are reviewed and exported to Microsoft® Excel
- Full compliance with 21 CFR part 11 & GLP requirements
The PV loops analyzer generates several parameters including:
- End-Systolic Pressure-Volume Relationship (ESPVR)
- End-Diastolic Pressure-Volume Relationship (EDPVR)
- Preload Recruitable Stroke Work relationship (PRSW)
- Arterial elastance (Ea)
- Stroke work
Transonic Pressure-Volume system
Transonic ADVantage Pressure Volume system provides cardiac researchers the unique ability to measure almost every imaginable hemodynamic and contractile index of ventricular function with a single instrument.
The system is composed of an ADV500 module equipped with one pressure volume input and one additional pressure input.
Analog outputs are compatible with IOX2 software (usbACQ device is required to interface with the acquisition computer):
- Pressure 2
Catheters are available with a range of volume electrode spacings to fit any ventricle size, from rodent to large animals.
Variable Segment Length (VSL) catheters are also available for even more flexibility in matching ventricle sizes. They have 4 volume electrode options designed to offer flexibility and ensure proper fit.
Rodent Pressure Volume catheters are specifically designed for use with mice and rat sized ventricles.
Transonic Scisense Pressure Volume Catheters for large animals range in size from 3.5F to 7.0F to span the entire range of heart sizes from rabbits to cows. All 7.0F Catheters are available with an optional lumen to allow drug administration, blood sampling or guide wire insertion.
Biventricular Assessment of Cardiac Function and Pressure-Volume Loops by Closed-Chest Catheterization in Mice
Francois Potus et al, J. Vis. Exp. (160), e61088, doi:10.3791/61088 (2020)
Obesity Alters Molecular and Functional Cardiac Responses to Ischemia-Reperfusion and Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Receptor Agonism
Daniel J Sassoon et al, Basic Res Cardiol. 2016 Jul; 111(4): 43.
ENPP1 enzyme replacement therapy improves blood pressure and cardiovascular function in a mouse model of generalized arterial calcification of infancy
Tayeba Khan et al, Disease Models & Mechanism (2018)
Pharmacological Inhibition of mTOR Kinase Reverses Right Ventricle Remodeling and Improves Right Ventricle Structure and Function in Rats
Andressa Pena et al, American Jour. of Resp. Cell and Molecular Biology, 2017