|Scireq - flexiVent
The flexiVent™ is a unique integrated data acquisition system combining a computer-controlled animal ventilator with accurate, detailed measurement of respiratory mechanics, in subjects ranging from under 10g to over 45kg.
Specialized system solutions also permit total liquid ventilation, in vitro measurements of the mechanics of isolated airways, and in vivo thoracic imaging.
computer-controlled piston pump
- the flexiVent™ is essentially a fully computer-controlled precision piston pump.
- to mechanically ventilate a subject, the computer coordinates the piston movement and the timing of the inspiratory and refill valves.
- to measure respiratory mechanics, the flexiVent briefly interrupts mechanical ventilation to apply a signal (the "perturbation"). Respiratory mechanics are calculated from the data collected while the perturbation is being applied.
- The flexiVent™ is designed such that the cylinder and valves are mounted on separate, interchangeable modules. This allows the use of different modules for different animal sizes.
- 6 standard modules are available with stroke volumes from 1.8 ml to 500 ml, allowing for a wide variety of experimental protocols in animals from under 10g to over 45kg.
- specialized modules permit the total liquid ventilation of subjects with PFC’s, as well as the measurement of the mechanics of isolated airways with a standard flexiVent base system. Customized key solutions for interfacing with commercial micro-CT scanners are also available.
- The flexiVent™ is designed with experimental efficiency in mind. The system is controlled entirely from a feature-rich Windows program that is a standard component of every flexiVent™ system.
features and accessories
- easy-to-use Windows-based software package (Vista compatible)
- spreadsheet output with option to export directly to Excel
- accessories include a computer-controlled nebulizer for inhaled challenges, for rapid generation of dose-response curves
- vital signs monitoring and computer-control of external devices
- glp software extension
other applications: the functionality of the flexiVent™ may be extended in several ways.
- Use the flexiVent™ to mechanically ventilate the subject and provide a synchronized gating signal to a preclinical imaging scanner
- With this gating method, resolution and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of thoracic images are more resistant to movement artefacts.
- The results is reduced scan times and dramatically improved image quality !
- Custom solutions for MRI scans with hyper-polarized contrast gas
- Integration kits for SkyScan 1076 and other micro-CT scanners
total liquid ventilation
- Ventilation of the lungs with perfluorocarbons (PFCs) offers exciting new possibilities for investigation of lung function.
- setup (PFC-filled cylinders, condensation unit, precision transducers) integrates fully with the standard flexiVent™ system
isolated airway mechanics
- This latest module extends the flexiVent™'s functionality to the study of isolated airway segments .
» ask for a quote
|related software : iox2
|related hardware : pulmonary systems