The inExpose™ system from Scireq is a compact system for applications exposing animals to different substances.
The standard inExpose™ system can be easily configured to study acute, sub-chronic and chronic animal models of cigarette-smoking induced lung disease.
Depending on your requirements, you may also be interested in measuring lung mechanics of animals exposed to cigarette smoke, e.g. for full phenotyping of animal models of COPD. The flexiVENT system (not described below) may be used for this purpose.
Smoke cigarette exposure setup
The key components of an inExpose™ setup configured for smoking exposure are as follows:
• base unit - incorporates pumps, controller and, optionally, exposure tower.
• 4 bias-flow pumps - each may be connected to a smoking device or a buffer chamber.
• transducer for measurement of particle parameters (this is important because cigarettes exhibit variable burning characteristics depending on their age, storage humidity, how they were lit and the ambient conditions).
• buffer chamber - can be used, if desired, to dilute smoke, for example to extend the duration of a puff.
• exposure device - different devices may be used to expose the animals to the smoke:
- exposure tower for nose-only exposure (mice)
- 5 L or 10 L octagon exposure chamber for whole-body exposure (rats)
- face mask (larger mammals)
- cell culture chamber for in-vitro experiments
- smoking device
- cigarette smoking robot - the robot has a carousel that holds up to 24 cigarettes. You can programme any combination of sequential or parallel smoking. Lighting, end-detection and ejection are fully automatic.The robot permits typical smoke concentrations to be maintained for up to four hours without user intervention.
- single cigarette chamber - for applications requiring less smoke and shorter exposure times.
- software - flexiWare™ software controls the system and monitors exposure parameters.
• virtually any desired puffing profile can be created, including published standards (predefined templates in software) and custom profiles for special applications.
• minimal dead volume to minimize unintentional dilution and ensure effective smoke delivery.
• main stream or side stream smoke exposure.
• 8 channels.
• vital signs monitoring (ECG)
• GLP module
Please visit our minisite at pulmonary.emka.fr to find out more about how emka TECHNOLOGIES can help you perform pulmonary studies.